Here’s a list of my favorite gun quotes.
This first one sums up the anti-gun position perfectly. (It went on to say that "Fear is what motivates most gun extremists, and it’s misdirected"). It was a false-dichotomy fallacy, that misrepresents the argument, by a SciFi author with no knowledge of guns or gun control (and who prefers their fantasy world to the real one). But I do agree that fear of guns is the problem. It’s those that fear their neighbors having a gun for sport or self defense, that are the intolerant extremists that cause friction in society by trying to take other people’s liberty and property away.
"People who feel safer with a gun than guaranteed medical insurance don’t yet have a fully adult concept of scary." ~ William Gibson
The next one sums up the problem with gun-controllers argument. They’re usually hypocrites or fools, even if not intentionally. You can’t eliminate a tool, or knowledge of it. All that you can do is decide which side shouldn’t have them. Some of us believe when you give only one side the power, it doesn’t work out well for the other side (eventually). Others believe that the collective is never wrong, especially if you ignore the History books that point out all the times they’ve been wrong in the past.
"If you are for gun control, then you are not against guns, because the guns will be needed to disarm people. So it’s not that you are anti-gun. You’ll need the police’s guns to take away other people’s guns. So you’re very Pro-Gun, you just believe that only the Government (which is, of course, so reliable, honest, moral, and virtuous…) should be allowed to have guns. There is no such thing as gun control. There is only centralizing gun ownership in the hands of a small, political elite and their minions.” ~ Stefan Molyneux
Here’s a list of other important gun quotes
* Don’t think of it as
gun control', think of it asvictim disarmament’. If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals.
* If the Government doesn’t trust us with our guns, why should we trust them with theirs?
* When only cops have guns, it’s called a "police state".
- Gun control defined: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.
- “Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples’ liberty’s teeth.” ~ George Washington
- “A free people ought to be armed.”~ George Washington
- "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~ Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188
- "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" ~ Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
- "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."~ Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.
- “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” ~ Ben Franklin, 1759
- “Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion in private self defense.” ~ John Adams
- “Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” ~ William Pitt, Nov. 18, 1783
- "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficient… The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding." ~ Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis
- "One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms." ~ Constitutional scholar Joseph Story, 1840
- Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest. ~ From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.
- "As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives [only] moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion to your walks."~ Thomas Jefferson, writing to his teenaged nephew.
- "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference – they deserve a place of honor with all that’s good" ~ George Washington
- "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." ~ Patrick Henry, speech of June 5 1788
- “The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” ~ James Madison
- "To disarm the people… was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." ~ George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788
- "The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms…" ~ Samuel Adams
- “To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.”~ Richard Henry Lee
- The [2nd Amendment] may be considered as the true palladium of liberty… The right of self defense is the first law of nature…. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any color of pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction. ~ St. George Tucker (One of the first Judges and law professors to write about the 2A)
- "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." ~ Mahatma Gandhi (Not exactly a founding father, but you brought him up without seeming to understand which side of this issue he’d be on)
- “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” ~ Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001)
- ” … the right to defend one’s home and one’s person when attacked has been guaranteed through the ages by common law.” ~ Martin Luther King
- No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave. ~ "Political Disquisitions", a British republican tract of 1774-1775
- Love your country, but never trust its government. ~ Robert A. Heinlein.
- “A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” ~ Sigmund Freud
- "Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of citizens to keep and bear arms. … The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America but which historically has proven to be possible." ~ Senator Hubert H. Humphrey (1960)
- "The right of bearing arms for a lawful purpose is not a right granted by the Constitution; neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence.” ~ U.S. vs Cruikshank
- "The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the high powers delegated directly to the citizen, and is excepted out of the general powers of government. A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power.” ~ Cockrum v. State
- D.C. versus Heller (and other rulings) concluded that the 2nd, "protects an individual’s right to possess a firearm, unconnected to service in a militia".
- "The Second Amendment is not the right to shoot deer, it is to defend your liberties if we’re taken over by tyrants" ~ Judge Andrew Napolitano (New Jersey Superior Court Judge, Distinguished Professor of Constitutional Law at Brooklyn Law School)
Opponents of Gun Rights
- The people of the various provinces are strictly forbidden to have in their possession any swords, short swords, bows, spears, firearms, or other types of arms. The possession of unnecessary implements makes difficult the collection of taxes and dues and tends to foment uprisings. ~ Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Shogun, August 1588
- Every Communist must grasp the truth, ‘Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun.’ ~ Mao Tse-tung, 1938, inadvertently endorsing the Second Amendment.
- “All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The Communist Party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party.” ~ Chairman Mao
- The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to permit the conquered Eastern peoples to have arms. History teaches that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by doing so. ~ Hitler, April 11 1942
- This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilised nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future! ~ Adolf Hitler quotes
- The measures adopted to restore public order are: First of all, the elimination of the so-called subversive elements …. They were elements of disorder and subversion. On the morrow of each conflict I gave the categorical order to confiscate the largest possible number of weapons of every sort and kind. This confiscation, which continues with the utmost energy, has given satisfactory results." ~ Benito Mussolini
- “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
- Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of all Americans to feel safe. ~ Dianne Feinstein
- "If I could have banned them all – ‘Mr. and Mrs. America turn in your guns’ – I would have!" ~ Diane Feinstein
- “If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves.” ~Joseph Stalin
- “I did not join the resistance movement to kill people, to kill the nation. Look at me now. Am I a savage person? My conscience is clear.” ~ Pol Pot
- “Armas para que? (“Guns, for what?”)” A response to Cuban citizens who said the people might need to keep their guns, after Castro announced strict gun control in Cuba. ~ Fidel Castro
- "My view of guns is simple. I hate guns and I cannot imagine why anyone would want to own one. If I had my way, guns for sport would be registered, and all other guns would be banned." ~ Deborah Prothrow-Stith (Dean of Harvard School of Public Health)
- Our task of creating a socialist America can only succeed when those who would resist us have been totally disarmed.~ Sarah Brady
- We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans…~ Bill Clinton
- There is no reason for anyone in this country — anyone except a police officer or military person — to buy, to own, to have, to use a handgun. The only way to control handgun use in this country is to prohibit the guns. ~ Bill Clinton
- The purpose of government is to rein in the rights of the people.~ Bill Clinton
- When we got organized as a country and we wrote a fairly radical Constitution with a radical Bill of Rights, giving a radical amount of individual freedom to Americans … And so a lot of people say there’s too much personal freedom. When personal freedom’s being abused, you have to move to limit it. That’s what we did in the announcement I made last weekend on the public housing projects, about how we’re going to have weapon sweeps and more things like that to try to make people safer in their communities.~ Bill Clinton
- It is often easier for our children to obtain a gun than it is to find a good school.~ Joycelyn Elders
- "I don’t care if you want to hunt, I don’t care if you think it’s your right. I say ‘Sorry.’ it’s 1999. We have had enough as a nation. You are not allowed to own a gun, and if you do own a gun I think you should go to prison." ~ Rosie O’Donnell (At about the time she said this, Rosie engaged the services of a bodyguard who applied for a gun permit.)
- "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country." ~ Mayor Marion Barry, Washington, DC
- Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas. ~ Joseph Stalin
- “A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves” ~ Edward R. Murrow
- “The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates.” ~ Tacitus
- “A Liberal is a person who will give away everything he doesn’t own.” ~ Unknown