Gun Quotes : Famous People
- "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." ~ Mahatma Gandhi (Not exactly a founding father, but you brought him up without seeming to understand which side of this issue he'd be on)
- “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” ~ Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001)
- ” … the right to defend one’s home and one’s person when attacked has been guaranteed through the ages by common law.” ~ Martin Luther King
- Love your country, but never trust its government. ~ Robert A. Heinlein.
- “A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” ~ Sigmund Freud
- This is an abbreviated paraphrase of Dreams in Folklore (1958), p. 33, which read: "The representation of the penis as a weapon, cutting knife, dagger etc., is familiar to us from the anxiety dreams of abstinent women in particular and also lies at the root of numerous phobias in neurotic people."
- "Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of citizens to keep and bear arms. ... The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America but which historically has proven to be possible." ~ Senator Hubert H. Humphrey (1960)
- "Unless you are definite, you must not suppose that you are speaking a language that can become law." ~ Plato, "Laws", Book IV" (≈360BC) - NOTE: Gun-controllers don't know enough about the subject to be definite.