Mao's Great Leap Forward
In Socialist circles "Forward" often means eliminating those holding you back. Mao's Great Leap Forward means the death of 45 million over four years... and that's not counting the oppression and re-education camps. This is partly why Obama's leftist symbology from posters to terms like "Forward" raises eyebrows and fed the "he's not from around here" attitudes (with the help of the Hillary campaign). It was a signal (whether intentional or incompetence) on who he sympathized with. After all, Socialism led to a third of all homes in China being destroyed to produce fertilizer and then the nation descended into famine and starvation, driven by the state. Resulting in something 20x worse than what Pol Pot's genocide (in deaths, not in percentage of the population, obviously).
Some of the acts included to create a socialist utopia:
- State retribution for tiny thefts, such as stealing a potato, even by a child, would include being tied up and thrown into a pond
- parents were forced to bury their children alive or were doused in excrement and urine, others were set alight, or had a nose or ear cut off
- One record shows how a man was branded with hot metal
- People were forced to work naked in the middle of winter
- 80 per cent of all the villagers in one region of a quarter of a million Chinese were banned from the official canteen because they were too old or ill to be effective workers, so were deliberately starved to death
Socialism in theory doesn't have to lead to mass atrocities... but it virtually always leads to at least some. The collective can't tolerate those who appose their leftists ideology, or they know they would decay and become more liberal (in the classical sense) and less socialist. So their version of Social Justice always comes with Social Revenge. That Revenge is for not agreeing with them... and is often done proactively to anyone they perceive as a threat.
The message is clear: Conform or die. (Or at least get out... but with poor farmers, leaving in mass was never going to be an option).
Add this to National Socialism (Hitler's) attrocities, Pol Pot's, Stalin's, and all the other Socialist utopias, and you might see a pattern. Unless you're an avowed socialist devoid of historical perspective or the integrity to admit it.