The greatest President of my lifetime. This isn't because I'm a fawning fanboy -- Reagan was flawed. So it's more a testament to the fallibility of the others. But a Presidents job is to inspire, give hope, teach tolerance, demand fairness from other countries (towards Americans or their own people) and just make people feel good. Reagan turned the malaise of Carter into the wonder-years of the 1980's, and by lifting the jack-boot of progressive ideals off taxpayers throats, let the economy roar back to life. He was vilified in his lifetime, but History will remember him fonder. At least for those that can fairly weigh his accomplishments.
Examples of left's hate of Reagan
More on Reagan: 4 items
- Trump Derangement Syndrome - Bush Derangement Syndrome), Reagan with RDS (Reagan Derangement Syndrome), or Nixon, they do the same with Donald Trump with TDS. Instead of learning from their mistakes, they're getting worse. This varies from fear mongering, inciting violence against Trump and his supporters, to outright delusion, but you can't have adult conversations with people that are screaming Hitler, or want to pretend that everyone who disagrees with them is a racist. Of course that's what they want, because if you can discuss the topic rationally, you might find what while he's a bombastic jerk, he's done none of the things they predicted.
- Reagan emptied mental institutions and caused homeless crisis -
- In the late 50s, warehousing of people in institutions had gone too far, and media exposés on bad conditions had people eliminating federal and state institutions over the failure of state psych wards and the freeing of patients. (They thought the communities would do better). It was national phenomenon, not a state one.
- Movies like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (based on a book from 1962) or Clockwork Orange (based on a book from 1962) were examples of the propaganda against mental institutions of the time: consider it a consequence of the rise of the hippie baby boomers, and backlash against “the man”. Sex, drugs, and stop being so judgmental against the mentally ill... it was another failure of progressivism.
- By the time Reagan took office (1966), the housed population had already halved over his predecessor under Pat Brown (D), and the momentum was already in motion, he didn't increase the trend at all (the policies continued), and it continued under Jerry Brown (D) at the same rate (after him). And it was happening nationally at a higher rate.
- Since the Democrats/left refuse to take responsibility for anything, they point fingers at someone who did less than they did, forgive both the Browns, and ignore that they've controlled all the houses in California for nearly 50 years since then, and did nothing to fix it. The problems had gotten better through the 80's, 90's and 2000's and only crashed after Barack Obama and 2008+. Those that claim it's all the Republicans fault are either fools, dishonest partisans, or both.
- 1980 Hating Reagan - The NYT hated Reagan for calling the USSR the "Evil Empire" and speaking truth to power (and inspiring to dissidents like Natan Sharansky). Reporters like Anthony Lewis called him primitive, simplistic and crude. Shhh, don't mention the Gulags and mass murder. The Times invented/promoted false narratives about Reagan being a racist, stupid, or hating gays (despite evidence to the contrary).
- 1964.10.27 Knowing things that aren't so - Ronald Reagan delivered a speech on television that contained a quote, "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn’t so!"