Q: Why do I do this?
A: Because it’s there
Life is too short to cave in to ignorance or misinformation. Writing gives me peace. It gives me an excuse to research and question and refine. Teaching others, can teach yourself (if you’re open to questioning everything, and being your own devil’s advocate).
My beliefs stem from trying to balancing conflicting truths:
- Confucianism believes that we have philosophical obligation to contribute to (and fit in with) our society.
- Bernard Shaw said, “The reasonable man adapts to society. The unreasonable man expects society to adapt to him. Therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men.”
- Taoism is the idea of harmony and balances in life; that there are many tradeoffs, and that you should work with nature and not against it.
So I believe in trying to fit in to society, while improving and challenging what’s wrong, and finding the balances. It doesn’t matter if I can change the world; the important thing is to try to improve it, without disrupting to revolution or imprisonment. To pull towards truth, and yet, to not tolerate the intolerable. That’s the noble cause: to leave the world a better place than when you came into it. Not by your successes, but just by your efforts and influences.
Here are some tales from my past. Shared for posterity:
- http://igeek.com/0932 – Elephants in the room
- http://igeek.com/4409 – Favorite Videos
- http://igeek.com/1161 – Housing and Urban Development
- http://igeek.com/0899 – How I spent my X-Mas Vacation – 1997
- – Jury Duty 1998
- http://igeek.com/0857 – Jury Duty 2013
- http://igeek.com/0934 – Just a burger
- http://igeek.com/0741 – My experiences pulling a gun
- – Pilot License
- http://igeek.com/1241 – Skydiving
- http://igeek.com/0951 – Timeline
- http://igeek.com/0731 – What’s shooting like?