2014.11.19 UVA Rape on Campus
Some facts that show Rolling Stone was incompetent in their journalistic efforts:
- Charlottesville Police officials told UVA that an investigation had failed to find any evidence confirming the events in the Rolling Stone article.
- UVA President Teresa Sullivan acknowledged that the story was discredited.
- At the request of Rolling Stone agreed to audit the editorial processes that culminated in the article being published.
- Erik Wemple of The Washington Post pronounced the story "a complete crock".
- In the Columbia Journalism Review, Bill Grueskin called the story "a mess—thinly sourced, full of erroneous assumptions, and plagued by gaping holes in the reporting". # The Columbia Journalism Review called the story "this year's media-fail sweepstakes"
- The Poynter Institute named it as the "Error of the Year" in journalism.