2017.06.06 Trump was under Investigation
CNN's argument for 3+ month had been that Trump would be impeached for Obstruction of Justice, because he fired Comey, over Comey not stopping an investigation. That's at least 3 pieces of FakeNews in one:
- 🔥 CNN claimed Comey is going to testify that Trump lied ("multiple times") when claiming that Comey told him "he wasn't under investigation". Comey instead confirms Trump's version (Trump was not under investigation). CNN forced to retract.
- 🔥 This crushes CNN's claims that Trump fired Comey because he wouldn't stop the investigation, if there was no investigation then he couldn't have fired Comey over it.
- 🔥 This also crushes CNN's claims that Trump firing Comey was obstruction. No investigation = No obstruction!
While they apologized and corrected the minor point (on what Comey would testify), they never corrected, clarified or apologized for the 3-6+ months of coverage into the fraud they had been selling 24/7. Worse, no firings.
They had gotten the story completely wrong -- and not just in a subtle way. It had been the foundation of their news about Trump: that he had been colluding with Russia (directly), that he had been trying to shut down the investigation because of that collusion, and thus firing Comey was obstruction of Justice and impeachable. Not only didn't they apologize or clean house, they continued to proffer that FakeNews theory that Trump was still guilty of obstruction for firing Comey, despite it not being logically/legally possible -- though at a lower and lower volume, until they found enough other FakeNews to distract their viewers with.
- Original Report: http://web.archive.org/web/20170606234238/https://www.cnn.com/2017/06/06/politics/comey-testimony-refute-trump-russian-investigation/index.html
- Revised Report: https://www.cnn.com/2017/06/06/politics/comey-testimony-refute-trump-russian-investigation/index.html
- http://dailycaller.com/2017/06/14/for-chris-cillizza-here-are-five-fake-stories-cnn-pushed/ </ref>