CBS isn't usually quite as overtly biased as NBC/MSNBC, but they that's like saying he was a polite rapist (of the truth).
FakeNews (Junk News or yellow journalism) is when legitimate stories or facts are suppressed, journalistic standards aren't adhered to, half truths are told, or a narrative spun to where the story becomes misleading or false. Think: manufactured crises, hoaxes, clickbait (sensational teasers/headlines with buried facts), bias or selective fact-checking, anonymous or paid sources, minor stories obscuring more significant news, delaying or ignoring newsworthy events, are all forms of FakeNews. Most retractions or corrections are evidence of shoddy standards and/or editorial bias creating FakeNews. Examples of CBS getting it wrong include: 16 items
- Tea Party - The railroading of the TeaParty is a great example of FakeNews. The TeaParty started under Bush, as a bunch of bi-partisan people angry at rising debt, and it escalated under Obama's trillion dollar porkulus. The media played them off as radicals, racists and domestic terrorists and called them TeaBaggers (after the sexual practice of sucking balls), and after 4 years of false stories were able to drive-out the moderates and democrats, leaving mostly the religious right (as they were used to be bullied and lied about). If you read places like Wikipedia, or listen to the left-wing news, you'll get none of that context/backstory (or history of how they moved right over time), leaving readers/viewers with a view that's quite different from reality.
- ICE - The friend of your friend may not be your friend. And an enemy of your enemy, may not be your enemy. Many people on the left, are of the opinion that because Trump is for ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement), or because ICE sometimes does bad things, that ICE must be bad. The truth is that they do a needed service, but some of the laws, regulations or policies they are required to follow are bad. But that's a problem with the policy, not with the organization. The alternative to ICE, is violence. Many media outlets totally FakeNewsed their stories on the organization/issue.
- 2019.05.21 Milkshake Assaults - There's been some recent assaults by Milkshakes: throwing Milkshakes at conservatives in the EU. While it sounds benign to the clueless, when someone is doing that, you don't know if the fluid is ice-cream or acid, nor of there's a solid or even a grenade in the cup. So this is not a harmless prank, and liberals would get that if someone was assaulting their heroes with frozen drinks, but their lack of introspection and consistent ethics makes them rationalize bad behavior against the other side. CBS, CNN and some other far left outlets are excusing/rationalizing the assaults as funny and tolerable.
- 2019.02.18 Laura Logan - CBS's Foreign Correspondent (Laura Logan) admitted that she might be committing political suicide by admitting the political truth (something frowned on at CBS), that the media is widely far-left leaning and under-represents the other side of stories. According to her, you have to actively seek out Breitbart or FoxNews to get a balance and understand both sides of a topic. This is no shock to conservatives or the informed -- the left will now seek to get her fired for telling that obvious truth.
- 2019.02.01 Va. Gov Ralph Northam - Poor Ralph, the Democrat Governor for Virginia, got caught dressing up for Halloween in blackface (1984). Of course CNN reported him as a Republican, but like many racist politicians, he is devoutly Democrat. The NYT tried to spin it as "Dark Makeup", as if his smokey eye got out of control. So long Ralph, we hardly knew ya.
- 2019.02.01 Ignoring Booker's lies - While the Press will never pass up an opportunity to attack any minor exaggeration or error on the right, when they have an opportunity to question a serial liar (Booker), they carry his water instead and gloss over his past. (FakeNews). 🙈
- 2018.07.06 MAVNI Military Recruits - 💩 The AP ran a grotesquely distorted story and headline, "US Army quietly discharging immigrant recruits" and it was a poorly written article about how 40-500 immigrant enlisted had been let go, but it leaves all sort of implications that the Trump administration is persecuting minorities in the military. And of course the left was outraged and triggered (as always) and it was re-printed, re-linked, or a couple dozen OpEds came out, each more extreme than that last, about how this racist persecution of immigrants was hunting down good troops and throwing them out because Trump is a Nazi. Of course the truth is quite different, Trump reversed the Obama era program, and virtually none has retracted or corrected the Big Lie.
- 2017.01.20 Scrubbed Climate Change and LGBT - ZOMG: Minutes in, and Trump is purging the Government (White House Website) of LGBT and Climate Change info: OrangeMan Bad! Only, this normal operating procedure to archive the old White House pages and start fresh (it happened under Clinton->Bush and Bush->Obama). No retractions, corrections or apologies given.
- 2016.12.03 Whites assault Muslim in NYC - Poor 18yo Baruch College Student Yasmin Seweid, 3 white Trump supporters screamed "terrorist go home!" and tore her Hijab off, while onlookers ignored it... according to all the news outlets. Then it comes out she made the whole thing up, and virtually none corrected or retracted the story, or reported the story of the hundreds of FakeHate crimes that happened.
- 2016.11.15 Six Communists arrested for assaulting Trump supporters - The "peaceful" protestors (according to FakeNews) and members of Red Guards Austin, were arrested for felony aggravated assault on Trump supporters while wearing masks, also resisting and evading arrest.
- 2016.11.11 Oberlin v Gibson Bakery - Three underage black Oberlin students were shoplifting wine at Gibson’s bakery, and got caught. So they assaulted, beat down, and kicked the owner. An arrest followed, and the three were able to plead guilty to misdemeanors and get probation without any fines and a short probationary period. Black racist activist students claimed since it was a white shop owner and African-American students, it must have been because of race (ignore the crimes), and protests ensued with the help of Oberlin College administrators and professors (who were glad the over-reactionary animus wasn't directed at them). This was the week of the Trump election, and all the FakeNews outlets listed this as evidence of racism running rampant since Trump's election. The Bakery was furious at the damage done to their reputation and sued for economic and reputation loss from the protests.
- 2016.09.30 San Diego assault - A SDSU student (Feras Jabro) was doing citizen journalism in El Cajon, where protests were happening over the shooting of Alfred Olango (Ugandan refugee, repeat drug dealer and felon) after Alfred pulled a large vape pen from his pocket, got in a shooting stance while pointing it at a cop, who returned fire. Feras was filming day-2 of the BlackLivesMatters protests and asking questions while wearing a MAGA hat, and was beaten, kicked, and had bottles thrown at him while he fled the scene. CBS News and Reuters reported it as a peaceful protest, and Feras as the agitator (for beating the assailants fists and feet with his face?). A separate cameraman was also mugged.
- 2012.07.13 You didn't build that - One of the defining phrases of the Obama Administration was Obama's attack on private companies which went, "You didn't build that"... basically you owe government for the company you created since they supplied the infrastructure needed. The truth is the opposite, without government we'd still have commerce and industrious individuals, but without commerce and people to tax, there is no government. Government is the parasite with delusions of grandeur. The FakeNews / far-left / Democrats lied and claimed Obama was only talking about roads and bridges, when he clearly said, "If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that".
- 2004.09.08 Rathergate - Far left polemic Dan Rather tried to rig an election by running a timed Bush hit piece on 60 minutes, just before the 2004 election, using shoddy and unvetted "Killian documents" which claimed that Bush was incompetent, insubordinate and didn't complete his National Guard Service in 1973. The Internet decomposed the typography and showed the forgery within hours, and commanders and folks involved refuted the accounts, and Dan Rather, some of his staff, and even some execs had to reluctantly be fired for journalistic fraud and incompetence.
- 1986.11.23 Unintended Accelleration - 60 Minutes sensationalized a story about Audi's accelerating on their own, by modifying the accelerator to do that. This segment scared buyers and hurt sales -- but the NTSC confirmed that the brakes overpowered the gas, so the only way this could happen is operator error.
- 1980.12 Jeep Rollover Fraud - 60 Minutes reported that the small army-style "CJ" Jeep was dangerously apt to roll over: they showed this by hanging weights inside the body at high points, driving much faster than reported, using worn out tires and a mechanical device to turn-in quicker than a human can (580° of rotation @ 5 turns/second), and out of 435 tries they got 8 rollovers. All that context was omitted from their scaremongering episode.
Dan has it all, a career of sloppy rumormongering, fired from CBS for failing to vet forged documents, suing CBS and losing, and still defending his actions to this day. He started his career reporting JFK's death before he could have it verified, taking the Vietcong's side in the Vietnam war, dressing up as a mujahideen fighter during Afghanistan war, his career is a parody of Ron Burgundy. If Ron Burgundy was less self-aware.