CNN entered the left-wing propaganda-as-news market in 1980. By 1996 Murdoch had recognized that CNN (and the other networks) were all left leaning -- and there was a business case for another cable news channel, and there was a huge hole in the market for centrist to right leaning News, and Fox News was born.
With 5 left leaning channels and 1 right leaning one, Fox News flourished, and the others struggled under hyper-competition (too many suppliers for the same base). If CNN had been business smart, they could moved to the center (or soft right) and starve Fox News of audience, especially as Fox News drifted more and more right wing, but CNN flipped from soft to hard left, and made blunder after blunder, as their market eroded away, and Fox News beat them in ratings for two decades.
During the same time, Fox News also re-invented the news talk shows, where instead of having 3 left of center pundits, and a left leaning moderator, ganging up on a token conservative, Fox would divide it more evenly and let both sides views get out. There was more drama and interest by having intelligent debate from both sides getting represented, instead of CNN's style which was later parodied by folks like Bill Maher. Sadly, CNN never learned, and later Fox News started copying CNN's biased format, just with 3 righties and a biases moderator, ganging up on one token lefty.
Every claim the left made about Fox News was true about CNN. The reporters who went other places talked about how their stories had been spiked or doctored if they weren't left wing enough, about how hostile the workplace could be if you didn't fit their ideology, how poorly they treated conservative guests (and so it was hard to get as many to subject themselves to that abuse). And since many of them went to Fox News, how refreshing it was to be given editorial freedom, instead of micromanaged from the top for an agenda.
Yet, despite all that, there's still many that refuse to admit that CNN has any bias or agenda. So here's a small sampling of some of the bias and spin that CNN has put on events, or mistakes they've been caught in. A comprehensive list would require a dedicated site, and there have been a few -- but with about 10-20 such spins/errors a day, that would be ≈197,000 entries. The point is NOT that they don't occasionally do good reporting, or everything they do is bad. Throw enough darts at a board left handed, and some are going to hit the bullseye. The point is just that they make many mistakes, almost all of them favor a left of center position, and their denial of any bias just makes their bias more obvious to those who pay attention, and makes us want to rub their noses in it, until they can at least admit the truth. That their reputation for being biased, sloppy and left leaning was earned.
Diary of a fake news site
- 2018.03.21 They invite every far left anti-Gun parkland teen to pontificate on ideas beyond their intellectual carry capacity, but refuse to invite a single conservative teen on (they're too informed). They finally, invite one, to preserve the sham of being a news site, but quickly disinvite him for a retweet about one of their sports commentators. It's almost like they were looking for an excuse to avoid letting the other side on. 
- 2018.02.21 A story CNN was pumping about a school shooting survivor, just happens to have a mom who was a CNN VIP (and they never disclosed that). 
- 2018.02.21 CNN's Chris Cuomo posts false story about being able to buy a gun without proper ID or background check. Lies about it. Refuses to apologize. None demanded by CNN. 
- 2018.02.11 CNN gets everything wrong on the South Korean Olympics.
- It has been fawning all over the North Korean Brutal Dictator's (Kim Jong Un's) younger Sister (Kim Yo Jong) as the "Korean Ivanka", getting both the familial relationship, accomplishments and politics wrong. This puff piece forgets to mention the regime's assassinations of relatives, thermonuclear aspirations, or that it's one of the most oppressive regimes in the world today. Just adoration for style over mass murder and prison camps. Even HuffPo reported it as propaganda. 
- They were also excited about the regimented North Korean Cheerleaders, forgetting to inform their readers of how serious this is for them, and missing the point that fascist dictators could always put on big displays (like Greek Columns for their inauguration with proclamations of stopping the Ocean's rise). Trump talking about a military parade (as multiple democrats had suggested before) is gosh. But if North Korea has cheerleaders giving state sponsored enthusiasm under the penalty of life in a work/prison-camp if they embarrass the regime, now THAT is adorable. 
- But the pièce de résistance, was when they criticized Vice President Pence's Olympic trip as a 'missed opportunity' for Korean diplomacy -- of course the truth was the exact opposite, but that would have required some fact checking. 
- 2018.02.08 To show how absurdly Fake they are, CNN claims Cody Shearer, the private intel operative for Hillary Clinton and the author of Dossier # 2, was an "independent journalist." That guy hasn't been a journalist in DECADES. This is like referring to Adolf Hitler as an artist. 
- 2017.12.12 To show their non-biased professionalism, when the Democrat takes the lead in the Alabama special election (Jones over Moore), cheers can be heard on the set. 
- 2017.12.11 CNN made a big stink in May about Jeff Sessions lied about contact with the Russians, and the Democrats picked up their baton and called for Sessions to retire over this stink. Sessions pointed out he met them in his duties as Senator, and that was legally excluded by the FBI from disclosure. The CNN "experts" called him a liar, and it was a big story for a month. Then in Dec., CNN quietly admit that the evidence shows Sessions was right all along. The usual page one allegation, page 5 retraction -- and CNN viewers got more ignorant by watching the channel, than if they didn't follow it at all. 
- 2017.12.08 CNN sensationalized a report that the Trump campaign (Trump Jr.) had early, secret access to hacked DNC emails from WikiLeaks -- which showed the collusion between Trump and Wikileaks (and in their fevered imaginations: the Russians). But of course, CNN got the date wrong, and the email was pointing out something that was already public. . CNN eventually issued a correction, by burying the lede: they stressed two source got the date wrong, and failed to mention that changed the whole point of the article from collusion to absolutely nothing, and didn't offer an apology for the mistake, or explain how it could have happened.
- 2017.11.06 During Trump's Japan trip, they got caught deceptively editing a reel to make it look like Trump made a fish feeding blunder by dumping the box of food in the pond, and turned it into a big story... after omitting that PM Abe did the same thing first. . Then they deceptively edited a quote on where the Japanese build cars (he was implying they should build more cars in America, and they played it as if he didn't know they already did). 
- 2017.10.27 CNN not only buries the lede by ignoring that the only evidence of Russian Collusion we have is Hillary Clinton and the Uranium One scandal. (Where Hillary sold 20% of our Uranium to the Russians, for millions back donated to the Clinton Foundation), but CNN actually argues against transparency and journalism. All the news that's fit to bury? 
- 2017.10.23 CNN tried to combat their perception as Fake News, by claiming that they're purveyors of truth, and those saying they aren't are liars, with "This is an Apple" ad campaign. . Which started a trend of ads mocking them, like "this is a man" 
- 2017.10.19 They blame Trump for Harvey Weinstein, no seriously.  While every news channel is going to slip and say head-slapping stupid things, CNN's almost all seem to be anti-Trump (or anti-Conservative) ones. While that is bad enough on its own, they can't even use the excuse that they're just trying to fill space in the 24 hour news cycle, because they get caught burying 24 other sexual scandals by Democrats . Actually, that's underselling it, I tracked dozens of sexual scandals in my Gropegate article. The single biggest factor on whether CNN will cover it or bury it, is whether there's an (R) or (D) after the persons name.
- 2017.09.28 CNN reporter was shocked when a radio jock said that he loved boobs. Then gushes over Hugh Hefner after he died.
- 2017.08.18 After years of calling the Tea Party "tea baggers", or misrepresenting the alt-right, they wrote a 100% sympathetic piece of propaganda promoting antifa (after months of not reporting violence at their events or agenda), "these poor enraged kids are fighting for a good cause, just not in a good way".
- 2017.06.26 Russia Trump-Collusion Fake News Fiasco
- The FBI/CIA and Comey all said that there's no evidence of Trump collusion. But CNN has been harping on the issue for a year, so when the only evidence of collusion was of the Hillary campaign and DNC paying for the Fake Dossier (what real collusion looks like), CNN ignores that, and desperately tries to sensationalize a Trump-Russia collusion story than was so bad, it ended with 3 of their reporters getting fired. 
- At the same time, Project Veritas showed a senior CNN producer, John Bonifield, admitting the whole Russia meme is bullshit, they have no evidence, and they'd been on a witchhunt (like the President said). Even their producers know they're way out ahead of their ski's on this thread, but they have been for a year. And they've intentionally suppressed and under-reported the Hillary collusion angles.
- 2017.06.16 After Bernie Sanders supporter and left wing activist (James Hodgkinson) shot Republican Steve Scalise practicing baseball. CNN misreported that only Democrats prayed for Scalise and his recovery (it was both teams).  This was compounded that they misreported that Trump had not visited Scalise, when he had.  And we're not even getting into all the bias about how they didn't report a lot of the details of James Hodgkinson background or motives, or all the fuck ups on anything to do with guns.
- 2017.06.13 Chris Cillizza first mocks four liberal Trump conspiracy theories (that were promoted by CNN). Then joins CNN and decided to whine about Trump's tweets with a challenge to offer specific examples of CNN's FakeNews or where they or other presidents made such blanket statements as Trump... which results in a tidalwave of responses: 
- Three dozen cases of Obama saying "if you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan", and CNN not correcting or questioning it once.
- Obama's attorney general Holder (and successor Lynch) making a blanket assertion about the U.S., characterizing the country as "a nation of cowards" on race it seems blanket assertions by Obama admin were allowed. It's only if you have an (R) after your name that they'll call you on it.
- The Daily Caller did a story on 5 fake stories 
- Fast Eddie come up with 16 examples in 37 minutes, from the prior 6 months: (1) Comey wasn't granted more resources for investigation (2) Comey will say he didn't tell Trump he wasn't under invest. (3) Trump is going to live tweet during Comey hearing (4) Trump is under investigation by the FBI (5) Trump pulled the MLK bust out of WH (6) Carter Paige colluded with Russia (7) Trump dossier is true (8) Trump had two scoops of ice cream (9) Flynn is spilling the beans on Trump (10).Trump will fire Spicer (11) Hillary has 90% chance of winning (12) Comey is a Boy Scout and apolitical (13) Trump fired Comey over invest. (14) Trump has no path to 270 (15) Donna Brazile didn't give debate q's to Hillary (16) Hillary didn't say she wanted open borders in a speech
- Newsbusters one-upped that with 200 examples, by searching their site . And they did a more detailed article on some FakeNews Highlights from CNN (and detailed some examples)
- 2017.06.06 CNN said they should be viewed as “the one nonpartisan cable news network". Then after a year of prior obvious bias and slander, they had to reluctantly fire Reza Aslan (their "religious scholar") after he called Trump a piece of shit. This happened right after Kathy Griffen beheaded the President in effigy, so the optics were too bad to sweep it under the rug. 
- 2017.06.04 They got caught staging protests for the camera, or they use green screens or split screen to pretend they're somewhere they aren't, all to manipulate the public.  Their defense was "everyone does it".
- 2017.02.15 Repeatedly claimed Trump’s had constant contact with Russians during campaign (following Hillary's campaign agenda that he was conspiring with the Russians, like she did). Only Trump didn't appear to have any, it is normal for their campaigns to have some (Trump had less than normal), and many investigations had not found anything to hint that he colluded with the Russians to fix a campaign (or that the Russians did anything to rig our elections). What contact they have found was after Trump was President elect. 
- 2017.02.10 Falsely claims Melania Trump blew off Akie Abe (the PM's wife) during Japanese PM's visit. Photos show Donald and Melania with her at the time. 
- 2017.02.09 CNN uses ‘Fake News' widely, then claims it's like using the N-Word when Trump uses it against them.  CNN 'accidentally' loses connect when Bernie Sanders jokes that CNN is 'Fake News"
- 2017.02.01 Erol Lewis pushes False Story that Trump’s Executive Immigration Order caused Michigan Woman’s Death
- 2017.01.31 Falsely Claims Trump Brought Judge Neil Hardiman to DC as Supreme Court Nominee ‘Decoy’. He wasn't in town, and wasn't a decoy. 
- 2017 - CNN Promoted Story Debunked by James Comey
- 2017 - Jim Sciutto insisted Donald Trump didn’t “say anything” about the wall of sacrifice behind him during his speech to employees at the Central Intelligence Agency - proven false
- 2017 - CNN Says Rape Is Pre-Existing Condition Under ACHA, say what? Again, even left of center PolitiFact, had to admit that one was Fake News.
- 2017 - CNN had to correct False Comey Report
- 2016.10.24 - CNN predicts a Trump win will crash stock markets 10-15%, but a Clinton win would be great. The stock market responded to a Trump win by leaping upward, and has continued to climb ever since. The point is not that CNN is often wrong, but their key meme's sounds more like DNC talking points, than news. 
- 2016 - CNN Falsely Claims Sherelle Smith Was ‘Calling For Peace’, their "correction" still misrepresented things a bit.
- 2016 - CNN says it’s Illegal to look at wikileaks, even left of center WaPo had to admit that was bullshit 
- 2016 - CNN’s Donna Brazile Fed Hillary Clinton questions ahead of debate
- 2016.05.06 Birth of Birthers? - They "fact checked" whether Hillary originated the Birther movement, and exonerated her. It was only her top strategists plan and her campaign staffers, but not her personally -- so they pretended that Trump was lying to imply she had anything to do with the rumors.
- 2015.12.28 Smart Gun-Controllers? - Misreporting details on caliber or mm. This is just one example among thousands of CNN not having any competent fact checkers on guns, but lots of ignorant pundits with opinions, and them trying to sensationalize stories for their scared audience, that gets more ignorant with each new CNN report on the topic.
- 2014.08.09 Michael Brown - CNN totally misleads the public with "Gentle Giant" and "hands up, don't shoot" falsehoods, which is bad enough. But 3 years later (in 2017), they're still repeating the lies.
- 2005.02.11 CNN Director Eason Jordon was forced to resign after claiming the U.S. (and Iraq) was intentionally targeting innocents and journalists in Iraq. 
- 2003 - CNN Admits they had suppressed damning news about Iraq, in order to keep their office open there
- 1998 - Tailwind: CNN Falsely Reports War Crimes by U.S. Forces
- 1996.07.27 Richard Jewel - CNN regurgitated NBC as Jewel was a person of interest in the Atlanta Olympic Bombing. He sued, and they settled, but that's what fake news looks like -- getting so far ahead of the story that you're no longer in sight of the truth. 
- 1991 - Arnett’s Air War - Debunked story about a milk-factory bombing 
- 1990 - Mark Dice shows Trump's problem with CNN, and Andrew Dice Clay losing it over their lies (anonymous sources, sketchy questions, more interested in drama than facts), live on the air. 
3rd place, out of 3
When you're in a hole, stop digging?
Almost everything to do with Donald Trump, Russian Hackers vs. DNC Leaks, James Comey, and various "scandals", they're getting wrong. It's hard to tell CNN from MSNBC now days. They finally had to pull people off the fraud (months later) because nothing showed up (it was all a fraud)
- The Sisterhood of the traveling Pantsuit:
- Be cheery or die in prison:
- Missed Opportunity:
- Sessions and Russians:
- Fish feed: http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2017/11/06/fake-news-cnn-uses-misleading-video-fabricate-trump-koi-pond-blunder/
- Cars: http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2017/11/06/fake-news-cnn-electively-edits-trump-quote-japanese-auto-production-u-s/
- Uranium One:
- This is an Apple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxuuIPcQ9_I
- This is a man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dZOVIZbDcM
- Harvey: http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/19/opinions/trump-weinstein-liberal-hollywood-kohn-opinion/index.html
- Burying sex scandals:
- Boobs: http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/cnn-gushes-over-hefner-two-weeks-after-female-host-was-mortified-guest-said-boobs
- Russia Fake News Fiasco:
- Project Veritas:
- Scalise2: https://www.redstate.com/streiff/2017/06/15/cnn-claims-trump-not-visit-scalise-hospital/
- Chris Cillizza:
- Becky Anderson Fakes A News Report In London":
- Hosts yards apart pretending they're not: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjBIri8g5Fw
- Crash markets: http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/24/investing/stocks-donald-trump-hillary-clinton/index.html
- Illegal to watch wikileaks:
- CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/11/easonjordan.cnn/
- Richard Jewel:
- Mark Dice video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz7OHTFAPM4&feature=youtu.be
- This isn't FakeNews, but shows their bias, their anchor's don't even recognize the National Anthem: http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/wow-cnn-anchor-doesnt-recognize-national-anthem