When it comes to Free Speech, Freedom of Religion, or Freedom of the Right Wing Press (Radio, TV or Internet), the left has almost always opposed it. At least if you're saying anything they don't like.
|First Amendment||The left loves freedom of speech, the Press, Religion, and right to assemble...||Unless you're talking about Global Warming, hate speech, or Christians trying to pray (or not pay for other people's abortions), or a conservative us trying to talk on College campus, or a right wing organization is buying a TV ad during a campaign (Citizens United), or anything else they don't like... and they don't like a lot.|
The First Amendment (1A) is really a lot of different things:
- no establishment of a federal religion (they did have state religions)
- or prohibiting the free exercise thereof (including in government meetings)
- freedom of speech (especially hate speech)
- or of the press
- or the right of the people peaceably to assemble
- or to petition the Government for a redress of grievances
❝ Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. ❞
I can think of no part of that, that the left hasn't opposed to some degree.
Now let's list just a few of the examples of how the left (especially progressive left) has virtually always opposed the 1A when it suits them: 15 items
- 2019.04.11 Mother Teresa is a hater - Mother Teresa, "Abortion is profoundly anti-women. Three quarters of its victims are women: half the babies and all the mothers." In an act of supreme (but predictable) arrogance, it was blocked from Twitter as hate speech. When asked by Ted Cruz, they refused to admit so, but said the context mattered.
- 2019.04.11 Photos of guns are criminal - To show how absurd the leftist PC movement is getting in our schools, two male students (Lacey Township High School, New Jersey) did a weekend run range trip and posted non-threatening photos to Snapchat, with the caption, "if there's ever a zombie apocalypse, you know where to go." Not at school, nothing about tthe school, and they auto-deleted (24 hours) before the school was aware. So they were suspended for 3 days and given detention. The ACLU did a good thing and filed suit. That was a step too far, even for them. They haven't changed their deluded view that the 2nd is the only Bill of Rights Amendment that wasn't intended for the people (individuals), despite clearly saying it was (both in the amendment and writings of the authors/ratifiers), so they're only protecting the students 1A rights, not 2A rights. Which proves they're not a pro-constitution or pro-civil rights organization, but they will protect some of them, in some cases.
- Climate skeptics denied free speech - The left is a crusader for free speech. Wait, you understand that man-made global warming is an exaggerated crisis? Burn the witch! The Obama Administration and many state's Attorney's General banded together to bring lawsuits against corporations who disagreed with the mythical climate consensus, and was threatening to do the same to individuals. Multiple others on the left were floating trial balloons on laws to oppress or persecute Climate Skeptics. While far left tech places (Facebook, Google, Wikipedia) were falsely de-ranking or shadow banning climate skeptics stories, no matter how accurate.
- FISA - Democrats created FISA (passed under Carter) to tap phones and read people's email. They screamed when Bush extended it to tap foreigners and look for terrorists, but they were silent when Obama abused it to tap Reporters or Trump.
- Fire in a crowded theater - Too few remember the context: Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., invented the line, "yelling fire in a crowded theater" to uphold the illegal persecution of an immigrant who was passing out anti-WWI fliers, under an illegal Espionage Act, in Schenck v. United States. Many parrot the line, without being taught or understanding that it was invented by a racist progressive to abuse minority immigrants for opposing the war.
- Hate Speech - The left claims they only want to ban things like "Hate Speech" or "Fake News", but the First Amendment wasn't written to defend the speech or TV/Radio channels that you like/agree with.
- Licensing and Regulation - These are where Government takes your rights away.... and then will sell (lease) your liberty back to you, if you follow their rules. The left created agencies like the FCC or FDA to do exactly that. FDR took licenses away from his political opponents, and then created the “fairness doctrine” to punish those who weren't pro-administration enough. The FDA has been used to go after political opponents as well. You can't empower government, without empowering corruption.
- Net Neutrality - The left fought for "Net Neutrality", which really mens giving the government taxing and regulatory authority over the Internet. It is a Mao suit: one-size-fits all, poorly -- to defend us from choice and free will. Imagine the idea of "mail neutrality": where you're only allowed to charge one fee for mailing a letter, or a 500 lbs. refrigerator, any distance: one price fits all. We had no net neutrality for the first 60+ years of networking, the Obama admin invented a few "regulations" in 2015 to protect us from liberty (imaginary demons under the bed and non-problems that weren't happening), and the left/media act like repeal of that (liberty) will be end of days.
- Propaganda Ministries - Who created the Propaganda Ministries in WWI and WWII to control the messaging? Progressive Democrats.
- Snowflakes - This is a pile anti-PC articles about what are and aren't 'isms. (Racism, Sexism, Gender'ism, and so on). And how the left uses intersectional bullshit, vandalism, or general douchebaggery, to suppress free speech in America. The clueful know that oppressing people's freedom of expression makes them resentful and causes more societal friction than it helps, but no one has accused the far-left snowflakes of being overly clueful.
- Social Media Censorship - The most left-leaning tech companies like Facebook, Twitter, Google, YouTube, Instagram are the ones that are most likely to censor/filter what the public sees... in the name of free speech of course. Which on one hand would be fine (they're private companies), if they hadn't sold people on getting an account and giving up their data, under the fraud that they would be fair, non-partisan and for freedom of information: things that all turned out to be lies.
- Speech Codes - Universities are some of the most leftist places in the country... and they're where we invented speech codes (things you can't say because it might be a micro-aggression that offends someone), and politically correct safe spaces, and so on. They tolerate banning conservatives from speaking there, or attacking them if they do. They shout down, scream, and have riots and tantrums if anyone says something they don't like. So they're the most left, and the most intolerant, at the same time. Correlation isn't causality, but it sure hints at it.
- Speech intolerance - Groups like Antifa, BLM, Occupy, SPLC, that like to bully others and try to shut down the other side's ability to be heard, are they left or right wing?
- Statuary Rape - There is no "hate speech" exclusion for the first amendment (1A). Destroying public property because it "offends you", is no exception. And if you start destroying others tributes, then why should any be allowed? Before you grease any slippery slope, you might be wise to ask, "what's at the bottom?"
Worse than abuses of the 1A in the U.S. (which will often be fought and eventually won), in other countries they don't really have a 1A. They don't have a right to free speech, they sort of have a privilege granted, and that can be selectively taken away. Here's some NOT 1A examples: 4 items
- German Free Speech - 🇩🇪Germany: "Free Speech" is an oxymoron. Free speech/expression means freedom to say/do things I dislike. Germans don’t have that. Everything is by permission, and many things aren’t allowed: (1) Some parties are outlawed (2) Deny the holocaust: go to prison (3) Have the wrong religion (Scientology, Johova’s witnesses, Pagan symbols) (4) Insult a cop (5) call someone a Hitler, (6) name your kid the wrong thing (7) insult a foreign head of state... these are all criminal offenses. And the list goes on.
- 2019.03.14 Christchurch Shooting - 🇳🇿Christchurch, New Zealand: a left wing eco-nationalist (who hates Capitalism, Conservatism, and is Chinese Communist sympathizer) shot-up a couple mosques because immigrants were over-populating the planet and causing Global Warming. Because the shooter said he didn't like Donald Trump's politics or leadership, the media said he was a right wing Trump supporter. He had illegally modified guns, used guns instead of more effective bombs because he said that would turn the left into his tools in dividing nations like the U.S. over gun-control, and he was stopped/slowed at the second mosque because a good guy was able to get a gun and scare him off. (It was one the shooter had dropped). So the media does his bidding, calls for division and gun control, and ignores the role that a good-guy with a gun had in reducing the carnage. NZ threatens to punish anyone that makes the info about his true motives available.
- 2018.07 Mandatory Field Trips - Hamburger Morgenpost reports that parents who opted their kid out of a field trip to a Mosque, can be fined (50€). Your kids are wards of the state, Parents are just there to raise the little minions in a state-approved manner.
- 2016.10.05 EU suppresses terrorists religion - Freedom of speech means power to suppress in the EU: The EU Human rights chief order the UK Press to stop reporting if terrorists were Muslims, they flag the truth as hate speech (intolerance) and will come and get you. And you wonder why Brexit?