The U.S. was created so that we the people could separate from a monarchy, self govern as a lot of local (State) democracies, with the minimum overarching federalism as possible. The EU was created to turn a bunch of separate little democracracies with autonomy into one unresponsive Brussels (or Berlin) run monarchy. It's not just that's the wrong idea... it's that they THINK they're doing what we did, when they're doing the exact opposite. We were created on individualism and limiting government power, and they are created on collectivism, centralization and maximize it.
Since the EU was created, Europe has become the worst performing continent in:
- economic growth, quality of life improvements, population, and everything that matters towards the future
- The French and Italian farmers, and other union workers, deserve to demand market protections for their stagnant or declining countries, but not to force it on the UK. The UK did more to help bring the EU forward, than the EU's isolationism and socialism ever did to help the UK forward.
- They've disagreed in degrees with everything the UK'ers wanted to do to reverse that -- causing the Brexit
- They magnified the problems with Greece, by subsidizing their incompetence for way too long
- They created an immigration crisis in their own countries by pretending the number or quality of refugees don't matter, nor does integration with the culture: causing a more classist and polarized countries.
There's a reason every major tech innovation came from the U.S., despite us being smaller in population. But they won't understand it. They still think there's power in the Eurocrats running the EUSSR, and don't understand the power of individualism and free'er markets.