H. J. Whitley's company (Los Angeles Pacific Boulevard and Development Company), bought the 480 acres E.C. Hurd ranch, and created the map of his plans. But it was Daeida Wilcox, a prominent investor and friend of Whitley's, who recommended the same name to her husband, who had purchased 120 acres on February 1, 1887, and they used that name and filed it with the Los Angeles County Recorder's office on a deed and parcel map of the property.
Hollywood was incorporated as a municipality on November 14, 1903, and then (January 30, 1904) banished liquor in the city, except when it was being sold for medicinal purposes, and later movie theaters. Then in 1910, the city voted to merge with Los Angeles in order to secure an adequate water supply and to gain access to the L.A. sewer system. Finally 1923, a large sign, reading HOLLYWOODLAND, was built in the Hollywood Hills to advertise a housing development -- and in 1949 the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce took over repair and rebuilding the sign: including removing the last 4 letters, to now refer to the district, rather than the housing development.
After problems in New Jersey because of Edison suing filmmakers, many of them fled west to Los Angeles area and started setting up production near Los Angeles for better weather, variety of terrain, and to evade New Jersey patent infringement. Hollywood became known as Tinseltown and the "dream factory" because of the glittering image of the movie industry.
This is the perfect summary, it was named after a racial slur, sold as being for something else. It was named by one person but another person registered it. The first thing they did was make it a dry city and ban the industry that made it famous -- which only happened there so they could rip off someone else's intellectual property. The sign they're most famous for was done by someone else, and they stole credit. And only a few years after being founded they had to give up control because they couldn't manage their own water or sewage. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
- Academy Awards - Satire Site Babylon-Bee summed up the Academy Awards as, "4-Hour-Long Political Lecture To Be Disguised As Awards Show". Yeah, it's worse than that. The lack of intellectual diversity, the demands of political correctness/conformity have sucked the drama and interest out of what was already a boring idea: industry wonks patting other industry wonks on the ass, over their ability to play make-believe and pretend to be people more important than they are. The results are the smallest audiences in the shows history.
- Alyssa Milano - 2018.10.05 - Finally admitting that Bill Clinton might have done something wrong.
- Jimmy Kimmel - the Man Show, before he became a host of late night TV. Then he decided to become "woke". Instead of taking the Johnny Carson tradition of poking at both sides, but mostly staying out of politics except for some zingers -- Kimmel became an SJW moron, that alienates anyone with a triply digit IQ. Instead of replacing Johnny Carson he decided he wanted to replace Jon Stewart, because Stewart had lower ratings, lower IQ audience, and won all sorts of Hollywood awards for his dishonesty. Who wouldn't want some of that?
- Kevin Spacey - I'm not a fan, or hater of Kevin Spacey. But I am an opponent of hypocrisy and double-standards. Kevin appears to have done the right thing of apologizing to his victims, after doing the wrong thing by trying to inebriate and exploit them. And GLADD did the exact right thing by not making excuses for the bad behavior, so I give them complete credit for having objective standards (and living up to them), even if it means sacrificing one of their constituents. If only the Trump haters were as fair and balanced....
- Those Hollywood Hills - story of me, growing up there and hunting in them thar hills. (Griffith Park).
- Hollywood Hackers versus real life - about how fake their depiction of hacking is
- Hollywood Celebrities - sampling some of the dumbest people that Hollywood culture has given us. It's called tinseltown, and remember Tinsel comes with a warning not to eat it for a reason.