- Giaever has said man-made global warming is a "new religion."
- In the minority report released by the U.S. Senate Environment and Public Works Committee in March 2009, Giaever said, "I am a skeptic. … Global warming has become a new religion."
- In a featured story in Norway's largest newspaper, Aftenposten, 26 June 2011, Giaever stated, "It is amazing how stable temperature has been over the last 150 years."
- Giaever got the Nobel Prize for showing that electron tunnelling took place in superconductors.
- Oliver E. Buckley Prize by the American Physical Society
- Zworykin Award by the National Academy of Engineering
- Honorary doctor honoris causa, at the Norwegian Institute of Technology