John Oliver goes full retard: https://hotair.com/archives/2018/05/14/john-oliver-explains-venezuela-things-terrible-socialism-isnt-blame/
The oldest trick in the Socialists book is whenever it fails (which is virtually always), they try to blame the failure on, "real socialism has never been tried".
Listen to him and you learn the following:
- Hugo was a great guy, he fired all the oil execs and replaced them with socialist allies, and that ruined their only source of income, but that's not socialisms fault, just because seizing the means of production and replacing them with political cronies is in their fucking manifesto.
- Hugo redistributed the wealth by taking from the makers, and giving to the under producers, and that destroyed the rest of their economic output, just like the manifesto said to do. But don't blame socialism.
- When the economy started collapsing, they tried to plan and control from the top... with money manipulation games, quotas on production and price and wage controls. Just like the manifesto said. But don't blame socialism.
- Instead of planning for a commodities downturn, or encouraging investment, leftist politicians tax and trade that money away for votes, just like the manifesto and DNC says you should do.However, when you have a commodity downturn or market correction, you have no buffer or anything to sell, and things collapse. So you finger-point instead, and use it as an excuse to grab more power. Just like the manifestos said to do. But don't blame socialism.
So Venezuelans followed socialism to the letter, and got the corruption, abuse of power and collapse that you got in virtually every other country that tries socialism and these same techniques... but don't blame socialism. After all, it's the cronyism, corruption, incompetence, and fighting to be on the bottom that comes with socialism that's at fault.
Then whenever it fails (which is virtually always), the socialist cries, "but real socialism hasn't been tried", just like John Oliver does. Finger point, distract, but never, ever, ever consider the root of the problem is the consequence of the philosophy and policies, just because the evidence is staring you in the face. The true problem is the charisma of the leader, not the policies that always end this way.
The left is mortally offended if you try to couple their leadership to their actions and associations, "Why just because Obama attended reverend Wrights church for 25 years... and was buddies with Farrakhan, doesn't mean anything about HIM!" They will attack anyone that tries to hold their side responsible for their own action.But like the video shows, they have a much lower standard for the other side. They like to find the most ridiculous extremes of the other side, and broad brush and play guilt by association. Like this clip trying to associate InfoWars, with all conservatives. Even there, they often fail. Te little idiot that replied to the InfoWars person was pure comedy Gold with her clueless condescension, while I didn't see anything much wrong with what InfoWars said. But Oliver will quickly mock them both and move on before their side thinks too deeply about what the other side actually said/thinks.
- 2019.02.18 - Poor John was delicious mocked by a group called "The Faction" in a Hollywood Billboard. They depict him as an NPC, with an "Orange Man Bad" message. NPC's are non-player characters in gaming nomenclature, meaning this person is just a bot (script) working for the DNC or PC narratives, rather than a sentient human being trying to share the truth. 
- 2018.06.25 - Penis Pics - To show what kind of douchebag Oliver is, he gave out Jeff Sessions email and asks his viewers to send penis picks to harass him. 
- NRA - He described NRA TV as “deranged letters from a serial killer.” After that, I went and watched NRA TV to see what the rants were about. It was about what you'd expect, a bunch of shows of varying quality on guns, shooting, shooting sports, and the like. A few commentariats, but overall, it was about as benign as you could get. 
- 2017.06.22 - 'Lawsuit - Coal company (Murray Energy) sued HBO's John Oliver for defamation after he attacked the owners looks and age, made false statements about a 2007 collapse of a Utah mine (when nine miners died), and ignored evidence that had been given to them about how an earthquake caused the mine's collapse, and skipped mentioning any of, “the efforts Mr. Murray personally made to save the trapped miners.” It didn't fit the agenda of hate. 
- 2017.05.10 - 'Penthouse Loophole - John Oliver Used Trump Tax Loophole on His $9.5 Million Manhattan Penthouse. Now I have no problem with people using the tax breaks that are offered to them (and not spending more than they have to). But Oliver does, and criticizes it for anyone else. So why not lead by example? Why aren't the left as outraged at their side abusing these loopholes as they are when it's someone on the conservative side of the aisle? I think that question answers itself. 
- 2016.11.15 - Election Freakout - He had apoplexy when Trump won, ranting "How the fuck did we get here and what the fuck do we do now?” and blamed the results on America's “deep racism and/or indifference to it.”
- 2015.10.30 - American Democracy- in a rant on CBS, Oliver mentioned his views that, "No one can say that the American democratic process is not long or, indeed, way too long.... And there’s a lot of balloons involved. American democracy looks like a four-year-old’s birthday party." Again, I don't care about this human dingleberry's opinion's on America. I do care that he and others pretend he's not a hyper-partisan.
- 2015.10.18 - Canadian Prime Minister (Harper)- in Oliver's puny mind there's allies and enemies, and anyone to the right of him is the enemy. His comments about Canadian Prime Minister Harper was, “Don't be deceived by his bland exterior. Where there is banality, there is evil.... But Harper's ugliest tendency is perhaps his pandering to Islamophobes.” 
- 2010 - Tim Tebow - When asked, given the opportunity to kill Obama bin Laden or Tim Tebow, Oliver had commented, “I hate Tim Tebow", "If I was in a room with Tim Tebow and Bin Laden and I had a gun with one bullet in it, I’d shoot bin Laden. I’m not a monster. But if I had two bullets — I’d shoot Tim Tebow first.” Because being a moral Christian Football Athlete (known for kneeling and thanking God for his victories) is worse than being a mass murdering Muslim in the far left's mind. Which is fine, he's entitled to be that stupid, caustic or partisan -- the problem is that he and others pretends that he's not.