FakeNews (Junk News or yellow journalism) is when legitimate stories or facts are suppressed, journalistic standards aren't adhered to, half truths are told, or a narrative spun to where the story becomes misleading or false. Think: manufactured crises, hoaxes, clickbait (sensational teasers/headlines with buried facts), bias or selective fact-checking, anonymous or paid sources, minor stories obscuring more significant news, delaying or ignoring newsworthy events, are all forms of FakeNews. Most retractions or corrections are evidence of shoddy standards and/or editorial bias creating FakeNews. Examples of NBC getting it wrong include: 21 items
- 2019.03.28 Yashar Ali bullied - Yahir (NYT/HuffPo contributor) explains how head of NBC/MSNBC politics (Dafna Linzer) called Ali, and tried to bully him on behalf of the DNC, in what was a wildly inappropriate and unethical way. Of course neither she, nor the network would comment on this atrociously partisan behavior.
- 2019.03.11 NBC puff-piece on racism - The NBC spin was that Ilhan's anti-Israeli commends aren't racist, because her district doesn't see them as a problem. Buried in 6 paragraphs into the article are hints that many are having problems with her racist comments. Others (WaPo, SFGate, etc), who have looked into think NBC is whitewashing it, as they found more serious concerns. The DNC couldn't bring themselves to spank her for her anti-semitism, instead they denounced all hate (except against conservatives), and didn't mention what prompted the issue.
- 2019.03.08 AOC Campaign Finance Scandal - 👮 Ocasio-Cortez and Saikat Chakrabarti (Chief of staff, former campaign chair), appear to have obtained majority control of Justice Democrats PAC in December 2017, raised more than $1.8M (and was responsible for her win), and illegally diverted more than $1M of those funds. If AOC and Chakrabarti withheld their control of that organization from the FEC to divert funds around campaign limits, they could face jail time. Either way, this is the Dark Money that AOC ran on curtailing. All the FakeNews misrepresented or omitted context on what happened: CNN, ABC, NBC, WaPo, BI, MarketWatch and Snopes.
- 2019.02.05 SOTU - The State of the Union speech was a little late (thanks to Nancy's shutdown), but it got delivered. Trump took the high road, Nancy/Dems took the lower one. Trump got a 76% approval, and higher ratings that 2018 or Obama, on a longer and deeper speech . But FakeNews NBC called it a "Theater of the Absurd". And the Fake FactCheckers at NYT, Politico, NPR and WaPo all proved their bias in their counter-factuals.
- 2019.02.01 Ignoring Booker's lies - While the Press will never pass up an opportunity to attack any minor exaggeration or error on the right, when they have an opportunity to question a serial liar (Booker), they carry his water instead and gloss over his past. (FakeNews). 🙈
- 2019.01.29 Jussie Smollett - 💩 Jussie (star on show TV show "Empire") was allegedly attacked in Chicago, in what was initially being investigated as a hate crime. The first report was 2 men in ski masks making racial and homophobic slurs, assaulted him, poured bleach on him, and put a noose around his neck -- then stopped the attack for no reason. (Claims of them saying "this is MAGA country" were added later). Those with any skepticism wondered things like (a) what are white Trump supporters doing in sub-zero Chicago gay neighborhood ambushing a guy they seemed to know (b) then stopping for no reason (c) Why wouldn't Jussie share his phone records, drop his sandwich bag during the assault, or take off the noose off after going home and waiting more than 20 minutes to call the cops? The haters accused the skeptics of being racist for asking obvious questions -- but the story is falling apart, as is seems that Jussie staged the whole thing because he was going to be cut out of his TV show, and wanted to make it harder to fire him (the pity and famous name scam).
- 2019.01.27 Hispanics and Conservatives - While Brokaw was on NBC (Meet the Press) and was making a ignorant and bigoted barb at Republicans (that they fear having brown grand-babies), and repeating a fallacy/FakeNews (the Mexicans are all Democrats), he accidentally told the truth about Mexicans and all immigrants (they should try to assimilate more), and suffered a shit-storm and was forced to apologize for the latter. The former was the real bigotry and insult to viewers... and ignored by the defenders of virtue.
- 2019.01.20 Covington Catholic High School - 💩The New York Times published an article “Boys in ‘Make America Great Again’ Hats Mob Native American Elder at Indigenous People’s March,” and many other outlets (CNN, WaPo, etc), piled on without verifying. OrangeMan is so bad, that just wearing his hat makes you a racist. Only, the details leaked out that it was the Catholic teens minding their own business (on a class trip) when the Native American demonstrator/activist (Nathan Phillips: not a Vietnam War Veteran as WaPo and other claimed) marched up, beat drums, push into center of student group, call teens names, and then accused the kids of surrounding him and saying racist things, all false.
- 2018.11.04 SNL Hit Piece - While Trump never mocked a disabled Reporter, Saturday Night Live did. Here's SNL star Pete Davidson mocking GOP congressional candidate Dan Crenshaw, a former Navy SEAL who lost an eye fighting in Afghanistan. Davidson referred to Crenshaw as looking like “a hitman in a porno movie.” Keeping it classy. Of course the News ran how bad this was for years, like they did when they thought Trump did it... oh, wait, the FakeNews never complained about it.
- 2018.10.12 Robert E. Lee - Trump does a speech in Ohio, on how great Ulysses S. Grant was (an Ohio native). And to do so, you mention the greatness of the foes he overcame: so in passing, he mentioning that Robert E. Lee was a great general... and was defeated by Grant. NBC spun that sentence fragment into a “WATCH: President Trump says ‘Robert E. Lee was a great general’ during Ohio rally, calling the Confederate leader ‘incredible.'” -- and creates a twitter and media storm about how tone deaf and racist Trump is. Only Trump said that Grant was the "incredible" one. It took NBC two days to quietly retract -- but, as usual, there are 3,000 retweets and 6,000 likes of the FakeNews before the correction, and the distracted are on to other things.
- 2018.05.03 Cohen Wiretap - MSNBC/NBC broke the story, "“Feds tapped Trump lawyer Michael Cohen’s phones,” -- and later altered the story to say, "Feds are monitoring, not listening to Cohen’s calls”: Instead of a wiretap, investigators obtained what’s known as a pen register warrant, where they get to see a log of calls made and durations, not audio of what was said.
- 2018.05 Cagegate - This FakeNews fiasco was the fallacy that Trump's new immigration policy was breaking up families and putting kids in cages. The omitted reality was criminals (border jumpers) have always had the kids separated from the adults, as you aren't sure who are parents, and detaining both in the same place risks harm to children. The media even used faked propaganda images from Obama era to sell it.
- 2018.02.22 NBC on Guns - NBC doesn't understand the differences between an AR-15, and a pump action shotgun, as demonstrated in this YouTube video. Not only wasn't a fact checker used, but not a single person in their editorial staff knew the basics enough to recognize their own gaffe.
- 2017.08.31 Manafort 'Donations' - NBC News hyped as a “bombshell” last week, that the, “Manafort Notes From Russian Meet Contain Cryptic Reference to ‘Donations'”. This could be pay-to-play and impeachment. Then they issued a confusing correction (same day) that they meant to say "Donor". Only that didn't appear in the original either. And WaPo slammed NBC for trashy journalism.
- 2017.05.25 NATO - Trump criticized NATO (as he has during his campaign) for bearing the brunt of NATO costs (true), and intimidates them into living up to their obligations and coming up with more money. The leftists, their Press and their fact checkers all pretend this is end of days and proof that:
- Demanding more defense spending (against Russia) makes him a puppet of Russia.
- That him claiming the U.S. pays 70-90% of NATO is a lie. It's true... depending on what you mean.
- He "shoved" Montenegro Prime Minister.
- That he's alienating our allies and going to break up NATO.
- A year+ later, the head of NATO admits that his tough talk got NATO contributions up by over $100B, and it is stronger than ever, thanks to Trump.
- 2017 Republicans funded the Dossier - If you heard that Republicans funded the Steele "Pee Pee" Dossier, you're a victim of FakeNews. Many Democrat operatives are guilty of repeating the lie: New York Magazine (Jonathan Chait), CNN (Brian Fallon), MSNBC’s (Velshi & Ruhle and Rachel Maddow), NBC (Christina Ginn), AP, New York Times, even James Comey. AP issued a correction, NYT clarified in later articles, but most others let the lie/confusion stand, or underplayed the truth: that it was bought and paid for by the DNC and Hillary campaign, and used to get illegal warrants and put a paid spy in the Trump campaign.
- 2016.11.14 Fake Homophobic note at Chicago's North Park University - Taylor Volk, a bisexual senior, claimed she was the recipient of a homophobic note and anonymous hate emails by Trump supporters. After NBC had sensationalized it, it came out that Taylor had faked it herself.
- 2016.11.02 NBC Goons beat me up - Guy wore anti-Bill Clinton T-Shirt to NBC Today Show, and was bloodied and bruised by NBC security. When he complained, NBC retorted that wearing that shirt, he was asking for it. There is a lawsuit.
- 2015.12.08 Muslim Ban - After a series of coordinate Paris Terrorist attacks, the San Bernardino attack, and various other islamic extremist attacks, during the campaign, Candidate Trump says we should consider a temporary Muslim ban until our leaders can figure out how to address the crisis. Before doing journalism (interviewing and asking what does he mean), NBC (Tom Brokaw) spun the story with half truths and compared this to various leftist atrocities (without offering that context). Trump's implementation (a couple years later) was just to require extreme vetting from a list of countries that the Obama administration flagged as being unable to effectively vet people from. Oh the horror.
- 1996.07.27 Richard Jewel - CNN regurgitated NBC (Tom Brokaw) misnaming "Jewel was a person of interest in the Atlanta Olympic Bombing". Jewel sued, and they eventually settled (for $500K) in the libel and slander suit. But that's what fake news looks like -- getting so far ahead of the story that you're no longer in sight of the truth.
- 1992.11.17 Rigged Trucks - Dateline NBC rigged GM trucks to explode by overfilling the tank, putting the wrong gas cap on, and using a model rocket engines to sell a story that they were unsafe, and had to settle a defamation suit filed by GM.
Aaron Sorkin's show, The West Wing, which won an Emmy award. And has a history of being a contentious host... for conservatives.
Katy Tur (D) NBC/MSNBC correspondent/anchor - she became famous by dating far-lefty Keith Olbermann, and not knowing basics of Republican positions, and what semiautomatic or Glock means before talking about guns.
Chris Matthews, he's ignorant, dishonest, and holds 34 honorary degrees, and one real one (liberal arts). A female assistant producer on his CNBC show (circa 1999) accused him of sexual harassment, and Matthews was reprimanded and she was awarded a $40,000 settlement. Since few have been as partisan, made as many mistakes or gaffs, and he was a sexual harasser, he's of course been the recipient of many leftist accolades in journalism.