Democrats/left are so against the 2A, that they're willing to sacrifice all our other civil rights (and bill of rights) as well, especially the 6th. The 6th basically guarantees fundamental rights like due process, the ability to face your accusers and the accusations. "Red Flag" laws (or ERPO's: Extreme Risk Protection Orders) are ones that say anyone can make claims that you are a threat to yourself or others, and thus should have your 2A (and 4A) civil rights taken away, based on secret Kafkaesque proceedings where the gun owner is barred from participating in the hearings, arguing their side of the dispute, or even seeing and addressing the accusers or charges until after the storm troopers have kicked in your door to take your property (for your own good).... and that's what a Police State looks like.
|Sixth Amendment||We need the right for the government to violate your 4th and 6th Amendment rights in Kafkaesque secret hearings, so they can take away your 2nd Amendment rights, in order to protect you and the public from things that someone you don't know, might accuse you of.||There's no evidence that allowing secret proceedings to strip you of your constitutional rights, actually does anything good. We have a lot of evidence that they get people killed, have been abused on small scale here so far... and on very large scale in other places, once this power is solidified. So we have a case of huge risk, low reward, and the left is for it because "guns" shuts down the thinking side of their brain.|
❝ In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence. ❞
Things to note:
- There have already been a few deaths, when people resisted (after not knowing what was going on). Someone kicks in your door without due process, and you defend yourself (even stupidly), and the state and Democrats want to blame you for the death? That doesn't sound like the values America was founded on to me.
- A 2019 study by John Lott found red flag laws have no significant effect on murder, suicide, the number of people killed in mass public shootings, robbery, aggravated assault, or burglary. But they might actually increase rapes.
- This gets worse when you look at using the error filled No-Fly lists or Terrorist Watch Lists to block gun sales, or allow these sort of red flag bans.
But if your motivation is feelings and not thinkings, and hating on boom-sticks and those that like them, then oh well. You can't make omelets without breaking eggs. To the left, you're the eggs.
If there are checks and balances in place, I think in some extreme cases, this should be allowed. But that would involve:
- Wikipedia: Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution
- Wikipedia: Red flag law
- Wikipedia: No Fly List
- Wikipedia: Terrorist Screening Database