FakeNews (Junk News or yellow journalism) is when legitimate stories or facts are suppressed, journalistic standards aren't adhered to, half truths are told, or a narrative spun to where the story becomes misleading or false. Think: manufactured crises, hoaxes, clickbait (sensational teasers/headlines with buried facts), bias or selective fact-checking, anonymous or paid sources, minor stories obscuring more significant news, delaying or ignoring newsworthy events, are all forms of FakeNews. Most retractions or corrections are evidence of shoddy standards and/or editorial bias creating FakeNews.
Whether you agree with the WaPo or not, if we start seeing a pattern of bias and errors, then they're not a fair and balanced media outlet. And if you don't see a pattern of bias and errors, then you're just uninformed on the topic. With WaPo there's not a lot of middle ground. Some examples include: 35 items
- Tea Party - The railroading of the TeaParty is a great example of FakeNews. The TeaParty started under Bush, as a bunch of bi-partisan people angry at rising debt, and it escalated under Obama's trillion dollar porkulus. The media played them off as radicals, racists and domestic terrorists and called them TeaBaggers (after the sexual practice of sucking balls), and after 4 years of false stories were able to attrit-out the moderates and democrats, leaving most the religious right (as they were used to be bullied and lied about).
- 2019.02.13 Golf Simulator - WaPo tries to slam because Trump for upgrading a Golf Simulator in the WhiteHouse... it omits the parts that: (a) it was installed under Obama (b) it was never reported on by the WaPo or other so called News outlets (c) unlike Obama, Trump is paying for the improvements out of his own pocket (not sticking it to taxpayers). The real story is in the omissions, not what they say. And that's what FakeNews (Propaganda) looks like.
- 2019.02.05 SOTU - The State of the Union speech was a little late (thanks to Nancy's shutdown), but it got delivered. Trump took the high road, Nancy/Dems took the lower one. Trump got a 76% approval, and higher ratings that 2018 or Obama, on a longer and deeper speech . But FakeNews NBC called it a "Theater of the Absurd". And the Fake FactCheckers at NYT, Politico, NPR and WaPo all proved their bias in their counter-factuals.
- 2019.02.03 Superbowl Ad - In the wake of thousands of fake journalists getting laid off, WaPo ran a $5.2M ad during the worst Super Bowl in history, celebrating how far Journalism has fallen, and trying to prop up the sham that, Democracy dies in Darkness, or that it isn't places like WaPo trying to snuff out all the lights.
- 2019.01.29 Jussie Smollett - 💩 Jussie (star on show TV show "Empire") was allegedly attacked in Chicago, in what was initially being investigated as a hate crime. The first report was 2 men in ski masks making racial and homophobic slurs, assaulted him, poured bleach on him, and put a noose around his neck -- then stopped the attack for no reason. (Claims of them saying "this is MAGA country" were added later). Those with any skepticism wondered things like (a) what are white Trump supporters doing in sub-zero Chicago gay neighborhood ambushing a guy they seemed to know (b) then stopping for no reason (c) Why wouldn't Jussie share his phone records, drop his sandwich bag during the assault, or take off the noose off after going home and waiting more than 20 minutes to call the cops? The haters accused the skeptics of being racist for asking obvious questions -- but the story is falling apart, as is seems that Jussie staged the whole thing because he was going to be cut out of his TV show, and wanted to make it harder to fire him (the pity and famous name scam).
- 2019.01.20 Covington Catholic High School - 💩The New York Times published an article “Boys in ‘Make America Great Again’ Hats Mob Native American Elder at Indigenous People’s March,” and many other outlets (CNN, WaPo, etc), piled on without verifying. OrangeMan is so bad, that just wearing his hat makes you a racist. Only, the details leaked out that it was the Catholic teens minding their own business (on a class trip) when the Native American demonstrator/activist (Nathan Phillips: not a Vietnam War Veteran as WaPo and other claimed) marched up, beat drums, push into center of student group, call teens names, and then accused the kids of surrounding him and saying racist things, all false.
- 2018.07.10 Clickhole - WaPo used a Clickhole article as the basis of a hit piece on Trump, only to discover that Clickhole (run by the Onion) is satire. If they had any fact-checkers between them and their anti-Trump propaganda, they would have caught that.
- 2018.07.06 MAVNI Military Recruits - 💩 The AP ran a grotesquely distorted story and headline, "US Army quietly discharging immigrant recruits" and it was a poorly written article about how 40-500 immigrant enlisted had been let go, but it leaves all sort of implications that the Trump administration is persecuting minorities in the military. And of course the left was outraged and triggered (as always) and it was re-printed, re-linked, or a couple dozen OpEds came out, each more extreme than that last, about how this racist persecution of immigrants was hunting down good troops and throwing them out because Trump is a Nazi. Of course the truth is quite different, Trump reversed the Obama era program, and virtually none has retracted or corrected the Big Lie.
- 2018.07.02 Fake Immigration Story - WaPo used flawed analysis to count only half of immigrants, and conclude that Trump's policies are suppressing Muslims. Only the rest of the data changes the story. The problem isn't just that WaPo is bad at math/logic, it's that they haven't retracted and apologized.
- 2018.06.21 Immigration Girl - Time Magazine never ran a cover article complaining about immigrant abuse during Obama, when this was happening more widely. But they photoshopped a FakeNews picture on their cover (and worse article) with Trump looking down callously on a girl that was crying and being separated from her mother. The context of the original makes it worse. American outlets (NYT, WaPo, etc) don't fact check their own kind, so it was the DailyMail that broke the fraud.
- 2018.06.07 Suicide trends - WaPo ran an article showing Suicide Numbers trending up: they glossed over many important causes and missed how minute the increase is, and demonstrated mostly clickbait/FakeNews.
- 2018.05.22 Paige Patterson - The left (and WaPo) hate Conservative Christians, especially their leaders. And they love flocking to a good lynching: so they did a #metoo hit-piece on Paige Patterson (head of the Southern Baptist Convention) claiming he slut-shamed/blamed and urged a former seminary student (Megan Lively) not to report a rape. But the facts hint strongly at a different story, and it was a journalists responsibility to report all the facts.
- 2017.12.09 Crowd Tweet - WaPo Reporter (Dave Weigel) tweets photo mocking Trump's Pensacola, FL rally... but his photo was hours before Trump arrived.
- 2017.11.22 WaPo Reporter collaborating with Democrats - In a surprise to no one, left leaning WaPo reporter Janell Ross gives Strategy Briefing to secret Soros/DNC dark-money donor group conference. Once caught, WaPo claims it was without approval, and had to reluctantly put her on leave... 2 months later. Even the post won't let their progressive activist (who helps Democrats win elections) get caught doing it. At least not once it goes public.
- 2017.11.16 FakeExperts - The paper is openly against conservatives, and Roy Moore especially. When a shaky claim of Moore's attempted rape of a girl (Beverly Nelson) and signing her yearbook came forward, Moore claimed that the document was forged and she was lying. WaPo had a Handwriting Expert (Mark Songer) authenticate the yearbook, and omitted mentioning all the contradictory evidence against the signature or Beverly's version of events. Later Beverly was forced to admit that had been forged, and WaPo never offered a retraction or apology.
- 2017.11.09 Roy Moore - Roy Moore was the Republican nominee in Alabama for a contested U.S. Senate seat, had run multiple campaigns for decades (with nothing coming to light). The left hates him with a blind seething passion for his positions against Gay Marriage, and for the 10 commandments, and for switching from their party. So WaPo timed a hit piece to do the most damage it could to him, and to help the DNC. I wouldn't vote for a Judge that puts his ego above the law (as it appears Moore has), but the important question is whether the allegations are true, or just true enough for WaPo's quality standards.
- 2017.08.21 Hallmark of Dishonesty - Politicizing everything into being Trumps fault is FakeNews. Like the headline, "The feel-good Hallmark Channel is booming in the age of Trump". Damn that Trump ruins everything, so in 2017 what are poor viewers to do but shelter themselves from his madness, as demonstrated by a 9 percent increase in Hallmark viewers (escapism). Never-mind the lie of omission that Hallmark saw a 46 percent increase in viewers the year before, so viewership growth is down under Trump.
- 2017.06.12 Omits Islam from Islamic attack - In remembrance of Orlando (Pulse) nightclub shooting, where violent Islamic radical Omar Mateen shot 49 people in a terrorist attack, WaPo forgot to mention anything about Islam or Terror. They remembered to stress the need for gun control and gay safe spaces, since neither was relevant: Omar didn't know it was a gay nightclub, and there's no proposed gun control laws that would have helped. It's kind of like blaming 9/11 attack on pilot error, and demanding more flight hours before getting your license.
- 2017.05.25 NATO - Trump criticized NATO (as he has during his campaign) for bearing the brunt of NATO costs (true), and intimidates them into living up to their obligations and coming up with more money. The leftists, their Press and their fact checkers all pretend this is end of days and proof that:
- Demanding more defense spending (against Russia) makes him a puppet of Russia.
- That him claiming the U.S. pays 70-90% of NATO is a lie. It's true... depending on what you mean.
- He "shoved" Montenegro Prime Minister.
- That he's alienating our allies and going to break up NATO.
- A year+ later, the head of NATO admits that his tough talk got NATO contributions up by over $100B, and it is stronger than ever, thanks to Trump.
- 2017.05.25 Headline Sensationalism - Burying the lede is an old time propaganda trick: a headline that says one thing, "JARED KUSHNER NOW A FOCUS IN RUSSIA INVESTIGATION"... wow, that's bad. Then bury plausible deniability in the 5th Paragraph: "[WaPo] has NOT been told that Kushner is a target — or the central focus — of the investigation, and he has NOT been accused of any wrongdoing." <- you just contradicted what you lead your readers to believe. That's the definition of FakeNews. Especially for readers that stop at the headline, or can't see the truth past the paywall! (The NYT and NPR did it as well).
- 2017.05.17 Seth Rich - There was a lot of news around Seth Rich (murdered) of being the source of the WikiLeaks emails, including inferences from Julian Assange himself. Because it didn't fit WaPo's narrative, they were mum on the whole topic. The reports at the time are likely bullshit (and have since been altered or purged), but there was more evidence for it at the time than there was for most stories WaPo was running that was blaming it on "the Russians". Even if you only report something to refute it, suppressing things you don't like is called FakeNews.
- 2017.05.15 Russia-leak Cheers - WaPo invents a FakeNews story (that Trump leaked info to the Russians, which was debunked), then they are heard cheering about it breaking a Hollywood Access record for most readers per minute. We don't know if they're cheering the Russians, their undermining of the truth, that their lie is so popular that their gullible readers believe it, or that they're now more FakeNews (Gossipy) than Hollywood access. None seems to reflect well on them.
- 2017.05.15 Russia-Leaks - WaPo invented a story that Trump leaked highly classified information to Russian ambassador. Ignoring that Trump has the ultimate authority on what is classified or not (so he can't be guilty of leaking), the head of National Security was in the room and said it didn't happen. WaPo never retracted their "scoop", despite no evidence to support it.
- 2017.05 James Comey Firing - For 6 months the media and Democrats had demanded the firing of James Comey. Trump waited until an FBI report cited evidence of gross misconduct, and then the AG fired Comey after consulting with Trump. The Democrats and their Media (NYT, WaPo, Politico, CNN, MSNBC), switched sides and screamed that this was illegal, obstruction of justice, proof of Russia collusion, and other things that were all later debunked.
- 2017.02.15 Tucker Carlson roasts Erik Wemple - Video where Tucker calls out WaPo (Erik Wemple, their media critic) for criticizing Trump administration over "Russia" ties, while they are running "native advertising", which is code for Russia writes and distributes their own propaganda pamphlets distributed inside WaPo. This being done while WaPo media editor is slamming competitors (Mike Allen / Politico) for doing the same thing. Then he goes on to demonstrate many mistakes the paper made and their own media reporter didn't cover. Hypocrisy is FakeNews.
- 2017.01.20 Scrubbed Climate Change and LGBT - ZOMG: Minutes in, and Trump is purging the Government (White House Website) of LGBT and Climate Change info: OrangeMan Bad! Only, this normal operating procedure to archive the old White House pages and start fresh (it happened under Clinton->Bush and Bush->Obama). No retractions, corrections or apologies given.
- 2016.12.31 Russians hack our power grid - Amid rising tension over the DNC's fake Trump Russian Collusion narrative, WaPo (Ellen Nakashima and Juliet Eilperin) invented that the Russians were also responsible for a Vermont PowerGrid attack. The Utility denied the claim, and WaPo tries to blame them, and claims they'd contacted them, and rewrites the story... but botches the rewrite as well. And it appears that they lied about trying to contact the power companies, and hadn't done their due diligence.
- 2016.12.22 Embezzling, Hookers, Divorce (oh my) - Just because David Mikkelson (CEO/Founder) was caught up in an unsavory divorce, or embezzled money to rent hookers, and they have no hard defined editorial standards, doesn't mean everything they wrote is crap. Most of it is fine. But the point is that I'm unconvinced that they're the paragon of moral, ethical and quality standards.
- 2016.12.09 Sophisticated Russians Hack - WaPo claims that a sophisticated attack by Russians to hack the election happened: security experts laugh it off as both amateur hour of an attack (off-the-shelf and out-of-date root-kit with a spear-phishing campaign), fuzzy ties to Russians, no hacking of the actual election (only leaking the truth via DNC emails: aka investigative journalism), and no evidence that they were the source for Wikileaks.
- 2016.11.08 Trump Loses - "Trump has no path to 270 - he can't win", "This race is over!", "Hillary has >90% chance of winning." -- CNN, WaPo and others were wrong on everything. Not only that he could win, but which states and groups he'd carry.
- 2016.11.01 Greenville, Mississippi black church fire - Right before the election, a Greenville, Mississippi church was set on fire and spray painted with the words “Vote Trump.” Of course all the leftist FakeNews outlets (Atlantic, NYT, etc) ran sensational headlines about how bad Trump and his white supremacist supporters were to foster such hate. Only it came out later that it was done by one of the churches black congregants, who hated Trump and it was a false flag effort. Many quietly updated their story, or ran a retraction a month after the damage had been done.
- 2016.05.02 Hillary and the Rapist - One complaint was against Hillary for laughing about getting a child rapist off when she was a defense lawyer. This was true. Even lefty-FactCheck admitted it was true. But Snopes, WaPo and Politifact parsed words, inferred intent (It was just a nervous laugh), and went beyond fact checking into water-carrier status.
- 2015.11.26 Trump and Disabled Reporter - 💩 WaPo "fact checked" Trump on a claim about arabs in NJ celebrating after 9/11, and claimed it was false. (That was FakeNews too). The reporter that did the fact check had written an article detailing the celebrations back in 2001. Trump mocked WaPo stammering trying to walk back their lie and used a common gesture of his: flailing arms that he'd used many times before to animate being flustered. Instead of apologizing and correcting their error, WaPo, CNN and other FakeNews outlets still-shotted the video of his hand position (with his wrist bent) and claimed he was mocking the reporters disability. The reporter did have a bent wrist, but not a flailing problem. They claimed because Trump might have met the guy, 30 years earlier in one of hundreds of interviews he'd done with the financial Press, that he knowingly mocked him. They ran that as their story for weeks, instead of the retraction/correction that they owed Trump, and they omitted all the key context, so their gullible readers/viewers still believe to this day the FakeNews version, and none seem to remember what actually happened and why.
- 2014.08.06 VoterID Fraud - NYU: Justin Levitt did a "Study" that found only 31 convictions of voter fraud. Thus he started the myth that since we don't have a way to catch people doing it (without VoterID), then the problem must not exist. This study was first published, without any logical counter-balance, in WaPo, and is regurgitated and quoted in all far left outlets (like Politifact). Only it's bullshit, been debunked and refuted, and lots of studies show the opposite. WaPo has never corrected it, and in fact, recycles it every 2 years around election time. They are either incompetent and don't know the basics of the topic, or they are intentionally and maliciously deceiving their rubes (readers), or both.
- 2009.01.15 Cheers for Obama - WaPo staff caught cheering an Obama (President Elect) visit back in 2009. Back then, they knew that this was a highly partisan act that showed their lack of objectivity, and they still cared, so they tried to make excuses that there's no proof it was reporters (and made no effort to check the facts on that). But everyone who knows WaPo and their staff knows better. Even if they didn't do it, they thought it.
Gun_ControllersWaPo regularly gets caught lying, spinning or propagandizing for Gun Control, or against the NRA, Guns, and Shooters. Which is fine if they were honest about it. Instead, they do things like this:
- In a misleading report about child shootings, they including a bullshit statistic that said how 1 in 24 kids (4.2%) witnessed a shooting last year. Really? That doesn't sound high to you? The facts were the CDC study they were referencing (and didn't link/source to) had a glaring error: the question was, 'have your kid ever seen anyone being shot, bombs going off, or street riots'. Ever. And there were more flaws than that. Any critical thinking fact checker or writer, should have done their job. But they didn't, because confirmation bias. No correction offered, and we have DallasNews to thank for Journalism, and WaPo to thank for misleading the gullible.
If, "Democracy Dies in Darkness:", should be a warning and not their slogan! If they cared about the light, they would be shining it on both sides of the argument, and letting their readers make up their own minds.
- Fake News Factory: Another disastrous week: http://www.dailywire.com/news/16646/fake-news-factory-another-disastrous-week-john-nolte
- Glenn Greenwald taking WaPo to task: https://www.democracynow.org/2017/1/5/glenn_greenwald_mainstream_us_media_is
- Anonymous Tips aren't news: http://thefederalist.com/2017/05/16/tips-for-reading-washington-post-stories-about-trump-based-on-anonymous-leaks/
- Anonymous Tips aren't news2: http://www.truthrevolt.org/commentary/greenfield-anonymous-sources-washington-post-and-cnn-fake-news