2015.07.01 Shooting of Kate Steinle
José Inez García Zárate (aka Francisco Sanchez) was arrested innumerable times under a dozen aliases, convicted of felonies on 7 occasions, and deported 5 times, but SF kept letting him go (and wouldn't hold him for ICE, despite many requests) under their Sanctuary City laws. Finally, he stole a gun from U.S. Bureau of Land Management ranger's car, and shot and killed Kathryn "Kate" Steinle on the pier by “accident". Then a California Jury acquitted Zárate of all murder and manslaughter charges, but convicted him of being a felon in possession of a firearm.
- He was arrested innumerable times (he had about a dozen aliases)
- he'd been convicted of felonies on 7 prior occasions, and deported 5 other times
- SF kept letting him go and wouldn't detain him or share information on his capture with the ICE despite their repeated requests.
- Finally, On March 26, 2015, the prison had turned him over to San Francisco authorities for an outstanding drug warrant, and despite ICE issuing a detainer for him (requesting that he be kept in custody until immigration authorities could pick him up), SF did not honor the detainer and let him go on April 15.
- On June 27th a gun was stolen from U.S. Bureau of Land Management ranger's car (and the windows broken).
- On July 1, 2015 he shot and killed Kathryn "Kate" Steinle on the pier by “accident”. He claims he was shooting at the sea lions and missed. Which is also a major crime (up to $10,000 fine for each incident).
- On November 30, 2017, after five days of deliberations, the jury acquitted García Zárate of all murder and manslaughter charges, but convicted him of being a felon in possession of a firearm.
When one of these repeat felons murders someone, the city plays dumb and claims “who knew?” that a repeat felon, with multiple violent crimes and complaints, and that had been deported many times, was a threat to public safety? Only anyone with a clue.
This incident started an effort for Kate's law, which says come if you come back illegally (after 2 aggravated felonies) and you get 5 year minimum, after 3 felonies or more, it is a 10 year minimum. In a mostly party line vote, Republicans passed it, Democrats filibustered it. Let them eat lead. Thanks Democrats.