There's a fiction that "Real Socialism" hasn't been tried. And when that's disproven by history, the American Socialists often fall back to, "well it hasn't been tried here", which shows even more ignorance. Here's a few examples of American Socialist Communes that were tried and failed:
- 1607 - Jamestown, Virginia -- after attempted socialism failed, they converted to private ownership (capitalism) and survived.
- 1747 - The Shakers 
- 1817 - I toured Zoar, Ohio, which is part of what got me more interested in researching this topic (and vice versa).
- 1841 - Brook Farm, Mass (Ripley's Follow Me or Not) 
- 1842 - Fruitlands Commune 
- 1856 - Octagon City, the Vegetarian Utopia 
- 1930's - Fordlandia: Henry Ford tried to bring a slice of America to the Brazilian jungle 
- 1967- Kaliflower Commune 
- 1972 - 12 Tribes