Robert Francis O'Rourke is a few things, few of which match the political image he tries to cast:
- born of Irish and Welsh ancestry, but his family nicknamed him Beto (Spanish for Roberto) to distinguish him from his grandfather/namesake
- boarding-school trust-fund baby had money (son of furniture magnate) and married into more of it
- was a member of the computer hacker group Cult of the Dead Cow going under the handle "Psychedelic Warlord"
- was into Punk music, but never became a musician (he plays the bass in a band called Foss).
- was arrested for burglary but let off
- later arrested for Drunk driving after crashing his car and trying to flee the scene, but was let off
- he got a B.A. in English Lit.
- most famous for fighting for marijuana legalization (which he lost)