Biden: EV the car fleet
Biden promises to replace the U.S. governments 650,000 vehicle fleet with Electric Vehicles as a shift to be more "green". He also promised to buy American, which isn't really possible in a global supply chain, but it sounded good to the gullible. He said it would "only" cost taxpayers $20 billion to buy government workers new cars (they only cost $4.4B in 2019, so he's basically saying he wants to drive up vehicle costs by 5x). Of course it's all dumb. Government will either go too slow (and this announcement was a fraud) or too fast (and cause more problems than they cure), but never has government ever got it just right and done better by managing from the top, than just leaving it those who know more about the problem. But it makes those addicted to thinking they're making a difference feel good, and isn't that what's important?
Things to consider:
- Electric makes more sense in a few cases, much less in others. Replacing all, is politics, not economics or smart.
- Since the technology is advancing on its own, the longer you wait, the cheaper/better it is.
- Supply and demand... if government eats capacity of production, then it drives up cost for everyone else.
- Infrastructureand the grid are not ready for wide scale changes... trying to surge demand before its ready could cause more harm than good
- No electric car is close to carbon neutral...
- Cars have duty cycles, Replacing a car before it is worn out is wasting money, and environmentally wasteful. it is cheaper (in carbon) to run an old oil burner than pay the recycling and manufacturing costs both monetarily and environmentally. Break even is often longer than the lifecycle of the vehicle. Worse when you replace early because it fits a political agenda
- Made in America is a slogan. Buying from the cheapest supplier gets the best value. In some components it is close and I prefer local jobs, in others, it only drives up costs and down quality. Do you trust government rocurement to manage that well? Or just waste taxpayer dollars?
- Creating jobs by using the credit card to borrow money from the chinese to buy new electric cars and stick your kids with the bill and interest is very Democrat, and evil. The kids will figure it out, unless they were educated in government school. Dems are good at dividing us... wait for the age resentment to set in once the next generation finally figures out that they have to work their entire lives with much less, to pay off our debt.