Steve Elliott hates tools
If this guy’s story is real (and he uses a few too many loaded terms for that to be guaranteed), all we learned is that some idiot made a symbolic gesture to get attention, and destroyed a useful tool (a few hundred dollar gun), to impress his anti-liberty / anti-responsibility friends.
And so while I’d like to believe I’m not part and party to the gun violence that stains America, I can’t. My grandmother shot and killed herself with a gun, and a few years ago my father shot and didn’t quite kill himself with one. My stepbrother died in a murder-suicide with a gun, and the husband of one of my sister’s co-workers was killed in a mass shooting.
None of that happened with my gun, of course, but after every new mass shooting, I’m reminded that I bear a portion of the responsibility for our nation’s gun violence. There are too many guns to do anything about it, the gun lobby says. Regulations are a slippery slope that only limit the rights of responsible gun owners, they say.
My gun is being used to argue against common-sense laws and policies that could reduce gun violence in America, arguments I find unconscionable. That’s what being a responsible gun owner means today – I’m responsible. I’ve been uneasy about that for a while now, and ashamed to admit it’s taken two more mass shootings for me to do anything about it.
That ended today. Today I disassembled my handgun, a 9mm Ruger, clamped the pieces in a vice and cut them in half with an angle grinder. I’m sending the proper paperwork into the state to report it destroyed.
None of us individually can stop gun violence in America, but as a responsible gun owner, I will no longer be used as a justification for doing nothing about it. Today I did what I could. Today there is #ONELESSGUN.
Ignoring the whole tone sounds like a false flag effort:
- Most gun-people mention model not caliber/gauge as the differentiator (as in "I bought a Browning Superimposed")
- unless he was a big kid, a .20ga would have been a better gun than a .12ga -- for both ammo costs and recoil reasons
- most gun folks that had shotguns as a kid, don't only have one handgun
- most gun folks don't know of anyone that's shot themselves or has been shot, let alone had two retarded parents that shot themselves, and a few victims as friends
- when a gun persons friend is killed in a mass shooting, they're usually rational enough to blame the shooter or lack of security, not the tool
- And most gun owners know how many non "common sense" gun laws have been passed, and how non-senisble the ones offered to help are
So ignoring that none of his rhetoric passes the sniff test of someone that has a basic clue... His theory is that the gun might be abused (against his will) if doesn’t sacrifice it to the Gods of gullibility, is also more the logic of gun-controllers than someone who can operate a tool as complex as a gun without shooting themselves.
But I say to him, If you're going to take a stand, do it right.
Of course, if he wants to make a real difference, he still needs to:
- crush his car in protest to drunk driving
- burn his house down because of domestic abuse
- castrate himself to protest over-population by others
- and of course remove Mr. Wiggly and the Olson twins... as a symbolic gesture against potential rape.
- I would also suggest self immolation as a solution for future blog posts that might lower the IQ of everyone that reads them.
Of course his liberal friends are impressed that they could hen-peck the weak-minded into giving up their right to self defense and blame an inanimate object for the actions of mentally broken repeat felons that the system repeatedly failed to take off our streets. Not to mention the illogic that his safely contained gun had anything to do with various acts that melted this little snowflake.
This went FB viral, so I felt I need to comment that this is why we're so divided on topics like this, between those with a basic clue -- and the gun controllers who celebrate symbolism like this. 1 down, 300M to go, not counting that millions more guns were added to the rosters last year. So this accomplished nothing but polarizing us more. I went out and bought 2 guns, just to make up for the one Steve Elliott destroyed.
Ever since EST fell out of vogue, many left of sentient folks have been searching for the next cult-FAD they could use to convince sheep that "they could be leaders, if they just followed hard enough". And those that value symbolism over substance, are falling all over themselves to give him the accolades he deserves.
This is the participation trophies they always give each other for being one of the herd: it’s how Obama got the Nobel Peace prize for being the first PPR (peace prize recipient) to bomb another one (though not for Arafat's lack of trying).
I hope that at some point in the future, Steve doesn't have the epiphany the hard way, and realize that when seconds count, the cops are a mere 15-20 minutes away.
Sadly, in a depressing epilogue, his girlfriend left him a Dear John letter explaining she was leaving him to start dating a man.